What is a Mandatory Settlement Conference or Pre-Trial Conference?

The first or preliminary hearing before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board is called Mandatory Settlement Conferences or Pre-Trial Conferences. This is a means to bring all the parties together in a “ formal/ informal” attempt to settle the case short of trial. The parties will attempt to resolve/narrow the issues and discuss settlement. You do not give testimony at this hearing.

Generally, during the hearing you will be in the waiting room. Discussion between your representative and the defendants will take place in hearing rooms and from time-to-time, you will be updated on the progress of settlement, if any. Approximately 75% of the cases settle at a conference and the remaining 25% usually settle prior to trial. If your case does not settle at the time of this hearing, it will likely be set for trial.

What is a Trial?

As with any other case, a trial is a formal presentation of your claim to the judge in order to obtain an opinion. Document evidence, generally medical reports are submitted and testimony is taken from you and any witnesses called by your attorney and the defendants. The case is then submitted to the judge for his decision.

This is generally a lengthy process and can take several months in order for the judge to issue an opinion. Once that opinion is made it becomes binding on all parties. However, either party does have the right to appeal the decision.

TELL US ABOUT YOUR CASE

REQUEST YOUR FREE, NO-OBLIGATION CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY

YOUR PRIVACY IS
IMPORTANT US

  • C.D.
    WORKERS COMP CASE
    img

    There was excellent communication. If I didn’t understand something, Adam explained it. I was informed of what to be expected as the case was moving along. Very satisfied with the service.

  • J.R.
    WORKERS COMP CASE
    img

    I am very pleased with the services provided by Mehlhop & Vogt. The firm knows what they are doing and gets stuff done! I always felt respected and cared for. Adam always answered my questions right away and with great detail.

  • M.H.
    WORKERS COMP CASE
    img

    I liked the way Mr. Mehlhop handled my case, he was very professional at all times. I feel like he did the best he could considering my wages.

SEE ADDITIONAL TESTIMONIALS

TELL US ABOUT YOUR CASE

REQUEST YOUR FREE, NO-OBLIGATION CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY

YOUR PRIVACY IS
IMPORTANT US